License to Wed (in RI)

License to Wed (in RI)

It’s true that you need more than just your John Hancock to score a marriage license around these parts, but as long as you’re in the know, the process is fairly simple.

What you need:

  • $24
  • your significant other
  • both of your birth certificates
  • both of your government-issued picture I.D.s (a.k.a. driver’s licenses)
  • the names of two of your witnesses (must be 18 and over)
  • if applicable, proof that any previous marriages/civil unions/domestic partnerships have legally ended.

When to apply:

The license is only valid for three months following the date of issuance so we recommend one to two months prior to your wedding.

Where to apply:

Your local city or town clerk’s office — visit their website or call ahead to check their hours/availability and make sure they don’t require anything additional. If either of you are RI residents, a signature from any town clerk office will allow you to marry in any town in the state. If neither of you can call yourselves Rhode Islanders, you must apply for your marriage license at the clerk’s office of the town where you plan to tie the knot.

*For more info, go to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.