License to Wed (in RI)

License to Wed (in RI)

It’s true that you need more than just your John Hancock to score a Rhode Island marriage license, but as long as you’re in the know, the process is fairly simple.

When to apply:

The license is only valid for three months following the date of issuance, so we recommend one to two months prior to your wedding.

Where to apply:

Rhode Island residents can head over to their city or town clerk’s office (applications must be filed in person). Visit their website or call ahead (find a list of city and town sites and phone numbers here: to check their hours/availability and make sure they don’t require any additional steps or materials (see: proof of residency for Providence, by appointment only for Newport).

NOTE: If neither of you can call yourselves Rhode Islanders, you must apply for your marriage license at the clerk’s office of the town where you plan to tie the knot (otherwise the validity of the marriage could be called into question).

What to bring:

  • $24
  • Your significant other.
  • Both of your birth certificates.
  • Both of your government-issued picture I.D.s —i.e. driver’s licenses, passports, etc.
  • The names of two of your witnesses (must be 18 or older).
  • If applicable, proof that any previous marriages/civil unions/domestic partnerships have legally ended. Other eligibility requirements can be viewed here:

*For more info, go to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *